Downer has partnered withthe City of Onkaparinga and Close the Loop to set a new benchmark in sustainability and innovation,constructing the first road in South Australia utilising Reconophalt, an innovative asphalt product that contains a combination of soft plastics and glass. Downer is proud to take a lead role in repurposing soft plastics and glass in asphalt for road construction to create a sustainable, cost effective solution that has improved performance characteristics over conventional asphalt.
The road constructed in Happy Valley with soft plastics and glass in asphalt demonstrates the economic, social and environmental value for products that otherwise end up in landfill, stockpiled, or as a pollutant in our natural environments.
More importantly, utilising soft plastics and glass in road construction proves that with thought leadership in sustainability and partnerships with progressive and environmentally conscious governments, suppliers and customers, we can continue to set new benchmarks in repurposing and recycling waste materials into new streams of use.
Recycled content breakdown
Every tonne of Reconophalt paved on the road will incorporate approximately:
- 530 plastic bag and packaging equivalents
- 150 glass bottle equivalents
- Toner from 12 used printer cartridges
- 200kg of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP)
Based on the number of houses in Caribbean Crescent, the road constructed in Happy Valley will recycle:
- 9,900 plastic bag and packaging equivalents per house, an average of 165 weeks household consumption
- 2,840 glass bottle equivalents per house, an average of 202 weeks of household consumption
- Toner from 228 used printer cartridges per house.
- Soft plastics and glass that otherwise end up in landfill, stockpiled, or as a pollutant in our natural environment
- Greater than 25% total recycled material content.
- Downer partnered closely with resource recovery and recycling company Close the Loop to innovatively tailor the soft plastic product offering to suit a road construction application.
Compared to standard DPTI specified asphalt, Reconophalt has shown:
- Significant improvement in fatigue for longer life pavements
- Superior deformation resistance for withstanding heavy vehicular traffic.
For further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org